You’ve probably seen people of all ages with braces, but before considering treatment for yourself or your family, you might wonder, “When’s the best age to get braces?” Fortunately, the answer is simple, and Farrow & Dewbre Orthodontics will break it down for you.
What Are Braces?
First, let’s talk about what braces are.
Braces are specialized dental devices that correct misaligned teeth and jaws, ensuring they align and function harmoniously. Fixed braces, which many of us are familiar with, consist of small metal or ceramic brackets. These brackets are carefully bonded to each tooth and connected by a wire. Periodic tightening of the wire exerts a gentle yet consistent pressure, guiding teeth into newer, better positions over time.
However, as technology and innovation have advanced, the realm of orthodontics has welcomed a more modern and discreet alternative: removable braces, also known as clear aligners. These are transparent, custom-fitted trays that cover the teeth. Their primary advantage lies in their removability; they can be effortlessly taken out during meals, to perform oral hygiene, or for special occasions. This flexibility ensures that the orthodontic journey is effective, convenient, and less conspicuous.
Why Do People Get Braces?
There are many reasons why you might want braces. The following are a few common reasons why individuals seek orthodontic care:
- Aesthetic Concerns: One of the most common reasons is the desire for a straighter, more attractive smile. Aligned teeth can significantly boost your self-esteem and help you make a lasting first impression.
- Functional Issues: Misaligned teeth or a misfitting bite can lead to difficulty chewing, speaking, and breathing. Orthodontic treatments can address these operational challenges, ensuring the mouth operates at its optimal capacity.
- Prevention: Crowded or overlapping teeth can be harder to clean, making them more susceptible to decay and gum disease. By straightening your teeth, you can reduce the risk of dental complications in the future.
- Jaw Disorders: Conditions like TMD (temporomandibular joint disorder) can cause pain and discomfort in the jaw. Orthodontic interventions can help alleviate these symptoms by realigning the jaw and teeth. A proper alignment can allow for equally dispersed pressure on the jaw joints and help them open and close efficiently.
- Development Assistance: Sometimes, youngsters need a little assistance to help their teeth and jaw develop with minimal issues.
What Are The Benefits?
Orthodontic care has many benefits beyond transforming the aesthetics of your smile!
- Easier to perform oral hygiene
- Decreased or eliminated pain in the jaw, neck, and head
- Improved oral health
- Improved chewing abilities
- Broadened nasal passages for easier breathing
- Better digestive health
- Less wear and tear on the enamel
- Improved mental and physical health
- Improved speaking abilities
- And more!
So, Who Qualifies For Braces?
Everyone! Anyone aged seven and beyond with healthy teeth, gums, and bones can receive orthodontic treatment and reap the benefits!
With such a wide age range of potentially qualifiable people, how do you know when it’s the right time to see an orthodontist? Luckily, there’s no best age to receive treatment; it depends on your alignment needs and, in some cases, your ability to commit to out-of-office upkeep.
We suggest children see an orthodontist by age seven for early evaluation. Though most children don’t need to start care so young, these assessments help us find the ones that do!
You can request their dentist or primary care provider for a referral for yourself or your child, or you can just call us at Farrow & Dewbre Orthodontics and schedule an appointment. We don’t require referrals!
Adult Treatment Vs. Childhood Treatment
For children, early intervention can guide jaw growth, correct harmful oral habits, and make room for permanent teeth. On the other hand, adults often seek orthodontic treatments for aesthetic improvements or to address long-standing dental issues.
While children’s treatments can leverage their ongoing growth, adult treatments might require a more nuanced approach due to matured bones. We want to reiterate that there’s no perfect age range to begin orthodontic care. We tailor each journey to the individual’s unique stage of life so that, regardless of age, the goal remains consistent: achieving a functional, healthy, and beautiful smile.
Begin Your Orthodontic Journey With Farrow & Dewbre Orthodontics!
Schedule your free consultation at one of our four convenient locations in Edmond, Clinton, Oklahoma City, or Deer Creek. Dr. Farrow and Dr. Dewbre of Farrow & Dewbre Orthodontics can create the smile you’ve always wanted for yourself or your child. You’re just one appointment away from discovering the personalized treatment plan that will help you improve your overall quality of life!
We can’t wait to meet you and your family, and we hope to hear from you soon!